St Matthias the Apostle Parish welcomes those who have faced a significant loss to join its on-going Grief Support Group. Participants experience the support and caring of other grieving persons, as well as receive helpful information about grieving and the grief process. Sessions are held every Saturday from 9am – 10:30am in the school library.
For more information contact: Miriam Jacik, MSN, MS Psychology, the Group Coordinator at 301-345-6054.
Miriam Jacik’s Grief Briefs
- Grief Brief #8 - My first thought in writing this next grief note, is to wish you, the readers, a Happy Easter, A Happy Passover, and a Happy Springtime. May these occurrences fill you with hopefulness and joy as you proceed through your grief journey. We will now look at one thing that could help us to move forward […]
- Lighten Our Spirits During the Winter Blues - Since the erratic winter months are upon us, perhaps we could look at the topic of the “winter blues”. Cold gray days, the snow, and the bleak scenes in nature have a way of affecting our mood and emotional lives. This is especially so when we are also facing personal tragedies, health crises, or the […]
- Grief and the Cold Dreary Winter Months - Grief Brief # 5 The holidays have come and gone, and hopefully, your experience of them was pleasant and gratifying. Being in the presence of family and friends is heart-warming for most grieving persons. It is hoped that you came to enjoy some new traditions that were different, but totally satisfying to all who participated […]
- Grief Brief #4 - In last month’s grief note we addressed up-coming holidays and how to prepare for them. Well, we have already experienced the 1st of the series. Hopefully, it went better than expected. Coming on the heels of Thanksgiving are Christmas, Hanukah, and Kwanza, with New Year’s Day not far behind them. I do hope that none […]
- Grief and the Upcoming Holidays - Grief Briefs Part 3 The holidays are fast approaching and, no doubt, have induced a lot of concern among grieving persons. Because the holidays of : Thanksgiving, Hanukka, Christmas, Kwanza, and New Years entail a coming together of friends and family, the absence of a significant other who has died is keenly felt. To manage […]
- Grief Briefs Part 2 - The first grief note posted ended with the thought that family and friends can be the sustaining force and a great source of strength for those who are grieving. Because the grieving process is long, with some days being more difficult than others a support team is a must. Members of that team need not […]
- Grief Briefs Part 1 - As a follow-up to the information about the on-going Grief Support Group at St. Matthias Church in Lanham, there will be forth-coming grief notes to be shared with you, our readers. Losses are much a part of each of our lives. Some are smaller losses, others are significant and heart-breaking. Our smaller losses we experience […]
- An Invitation to Receive Grief Support - St. Matthias the Apostle Parish welcomes those who have faced a significant loss to join its on-going Grief Support Group. Participants experience the support and caring of other grieving persons, as well as receive helpful information about grieving and the grief process. Sessions are held every Saturday from 9 – 10:30 AM in the school […]